Key Dates and Notes…
(Tomorrow) Wednesday, July 6 – Home Meet vs. Pickerington
- Swimmer signup is complete and final. Please be sure to look for entry lists and heat sheets today and tomorrow (with the holiday, everything is a little last minute with seeding the meet)
- Volunteer assignments went out via email and to Facebook — please be sure to confirm your spot, and thank you for helping make the meet go smoothly.
- Warmups start at 4:30 pm (on deck at 4:15); Meet starts at 5:30 pm.
- It will be hot — so please plan appropriately (water, food, shade, sunblock, etc.)
(This Weekend) Saturday, July 9 – Annual Jenny Nicol Meet and Fundraiser
- NEW TIME: Warmups are at 8:30 (on deck by 8:15); the Meet starts at 9:00 am. (This is one hour later than previously noted)
- An essential annual tradition — a Marlins-only meet and “bring a little bit of cash” fundraiser where we honor Jenny Nicol (please look for the donation box!)
- Jenny was a 1998 graduate of Bexley High School and a former Bexley Marlins coach, lifeguard, and swim instructor. Jenny went missing on New Year’s Day in 2003 while diving on the coast of Andros Island in the Bahamas.
- The meet raises money to provide books and educational materials for libraries serving the children of Andros and other islands in the Bahamas. A cause near and dear to Jenny’s heart.
- We’re joined by Jenny’s parents and family, who start the races and hand out candy and heat-winner ribbons.
- Swimmer/Volunteer signup emails are coming out today!
Saturday, July 16 — Away Meet AT Canal Winchester
- FINAL REGULAR-SEASON MEET!
- Time: Warmup 7:30 AM (on deck 7:15 AM); meet starts at 8:00 AM
- Watch for Swimmer/Volunteer signup emails during the week prior.
Wednesday, July 20, All Day — TCAL League Championships (Champs)
- The meet is at Dresden Swim Center in Dresden, Ohio; Specific times are TBD, but age groups will separate into 2-3 sessions.
- To participate in Champs, your swimmer must have competed in 3 TCAL League meets and have a legal time.
- This meet is outdoors — so please plan appropriately (water, food, shade, sunblock, etc.)
- Watch for Swimmer/Volunteer signup emails the week prior — all teams must supply timers, officials, and bullpen resources for all sessions of Champs. Note: Parent Volunteers are usually the only non swimmer/coach individuals allowed close to the pool at Champs… so this is a great way to be accessible and be able to give a quick hug and words of encouragement to your swimmer
Thursday, July 21, All Day — Rain Date for TCAL Champs
Saturday, July 23 — Marlins End of Season Banquet and Swim Party
- A chance for coaches to recognize the swimmers on a season well done!
- An opportunity for parents and families to thank the coaches.
- Where: Clifton Shelter (behind Jeffrey Mansion), starting at 5:00 pm, with Bexley Pool swimming to follow.
Food Trucks for the end-of-year party… We are still looking for food trucks for our end-of-season party. Unfortunately, everyone we have reached out to is unavailable… If you have a favorite truck or know someone who has a truck, don’t hesitate to contact Lauren Hanna at LAH269@aol.com.
Last call for Shirts… This week is your last chance to pick up your team shirt.
Spirit Wear… It should be delivered this week. Look for a separate message from Lauren Hanna on getting your items.
Ribbons… We know everyone loves their ribbons! So we wanted to give you some information on ribbons so you can manage your swimmer’s expectations.
Timing… Ribbons are the hosting home team’s responsibility. The larger the swim meet with more participants, the longer it takes to print labels, put them on ribbons, and then sort them into the swimmer folders. Ribbons usually take 2 to 3 days to complete depending on how many volunteers there are. Ribbons from the Hilliard and Granville meets will be mailed to our team and then put in your swimmer’s folder.
Places… Place ribbons are typically awarded through 12th place (for non-DQd swims). Our team also provides participation ribbons for places beyond 12th for the JV swimmers. Other teams may or may not offer participation ribbons.
Missing Ribbons… If your swimmer is missing a ribbon or would like a participation ribbon for an event they swam, please contact Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org, and she can produce a replacement.
Goal Busters… Also, at the end of the season, each swimmer will receive a report of all the events they swam throughout the year, their times, and any time drops during the season. In addition, for each time drop, they will receive a “goal buster” tag for their swim bag. These will be distributed at the end of the season party.